Academics University that forsters creative global citizens imbued with the pride of the Korean people
To meet the need for turning information into knowledge, there is an increasing demand for statistical expertise. The Department of Statistics was founded in 1988 at Sookmyung Women's University in order to satisfy this demand by training statisticians. It is a feminine statistician that the Department aims to produce, one who can understand various statistical methods, and who is equipped with the computer skills to efficiently collect data on necessary information so as to put it in use, organize it, and manage it at the same time. Many professors are faithfully providing students with advice and encouragement for this purpose. In addition, Sookmyung educates students in professional knowledge of adjacent applied fields, to develop their skills in cooperative work and to promote smooth communication.
The education purpose of Department of Statistics is to cultivate the female statistics experts who have equipped with the basic attainments and professional knowledge in the statistics field overall to lead the contemporary informatization era.
Going side by side together with achieving the comprehensive education goals of the school, the basic education goal is to foster the statistics experts who are required in the modern society. Following is the specific education goal of the statistics major.
1. Understand the various statistical methods, prepare with the capability to use them actually, and understand up to the quantitative analysis method.
2. Study the basic statistics theory related to the statistical method to understand the statistical method in depth.
3. Prepare with the capability to select, collect, organize, manage, and analyze the necessary information efficiently and the computer using ability needed in the process.
4. As the professional knowledge of adjacent applied fields are required to use the statistical method appropriately, induce each student to prepare with the systematic knowledge in the field, after each student choose the field keeping this point in mind.
5. Cultivate the smooth communication capability with others considering the joint work environment with the non-professional in the statistics.
|Required||Elective||Sub total||Required||Elective||Sub total|
|Statistics||16||21||over 37||18||39||over 57||over 140|