- From Sookmyung's Talented to The World's Talented, ‘The Sookmyung Life Academy’ Program
Our university is commencing a program called the ‘Sookmyung Life Academy’ in order to foster students that carry the harmony of ‘jideokche’(intellectuality, morality, and body). Implemented from the Division of General Education and General Education Research Institute, Sookmyung Life Academy strives to cultivate futuristic women leaders who possess multi-spectrum of knowledge, a moral character, and a practical will.
Students who have been selected through the program go through a one-year curriculum including debates, case studies, design thinking, field experience, and observing cultural arts. In addition, with the educational resources funded by Dongwon Education Foundation and with the interaction of academic advisors and student mentors, students are provided with an environment to study with passion. Above all, many in-campus professors from different fields and external specialists are invited as special educators to encourage students with myriads of experience.
[Sookmyung Life Academy Curriculum]
Step 1: Spring Regular Course
- Spring Regular Class
- Six-module centered basic course for jideokche cultivation
Step 2: Summer Intensive Course
- Character Camp
- Intensive training course for character cultivation during 3 days and 2 nights
Step 3: Autumn Regular Course
- Six module centered intensive course for jideokche cultivation
Step 4: Winter Camp Course
- Global Citizen Camp
- Intensive training course for field experiential learning to realize common values during 3 days and 2 nights
Step 5: Completion of Sookmyung Life Academy Curriculum
The following individuals from in-campus are participating as special lecturers. General Education Professor Hwang Yeong Mi (Speculation or Investment? / IoT in movies and life in the future), Consumer Economics Professors Choi Chul (Stupid? Will saving give us well-being? / Can I be Warren Buffet too?), Law Professor Hong Seung Soo (When words become blades), Kim Min Jeong (Futuristic consuming trend, ‘Living Alone’), History and Culture Professor Kang Hye Gyeong (Where are the women in history?), General Education Professor Shin Hee Seon (How can we live a happy life?), General Education Professor Kim Mi Kyeong (Can we develop mind muscles?).
Outside personnels, professor Yoon Won Chul of the Religious Studies Department at Seoul National University (Education of the Jews), Chairman Seo Jae Kyung (How to use your time efficiently), Poet Choi Young Mi (For a woman to write poems), Actor/Author Myung Ro Jin (The Analects of Confucius), Economist Wu Suk Hoon (The economics of humanism: The 88 Generation), Director Lee Jung Mo of the Seoul Science Museum (Science is hard even for me) are participating. In addition, this year's camp includes special lectures given by the Author Hwang Joo Ri, Dancer Choi Bo Gyul, Singer Kim Ji Young, and the Pianist Won Ji Hyun.
Students who participate in the Sookmyung Life Program will be given the following ‘7 STARs privileges’:
1. Four credits will be granted for the completion of Sookmyung Life Academy Curriculum
2. Scholarship awarded to outstanding student who completed the curriculum
3. Bestsellers’ book and free meals for all students participating in the curriculum
4. Funding of activity expenses regarding team projects and self-development
5. Full support for education cost such as watching and exploring cultural arts performances
6. Academic advisors’ and university mentors’ team mentoring
7. A certificate in the name of the president and qualification for mentoring university students granted.
The school is currently recruiting members for the program, and documents must be submitted by March 7, 9 A.M. through SNOWAY. Announcements for the first round will be made personally. The final members will be selected on March 8, after the interviews. Students who have completed the Honors program course are restricted in applying.
Participants of the program will attend the opening ceremony on March 9, the regular school curriculum for the first and second semester as well as the character camp/global citizen’s camp during summer and winter vacation and will have a ceremony for completion next year in January.
The Department of General Education stated, “We plan to provide integrated and interdisciplinary educational content and mentoring programs to students through participation in educational programs of diverse academic backgrounds and invitation of external specialists. It is expected to be a practical contribution to the development of female human resources with upright personalities.”