- ★[NOTICE] National Health Insurance Guide for International students
- Study Abroad
- Relate Search Word
- Post Date
National Health Insurance Guide for International students
International stduents staying in Korea are subject to mandatory subscription to Notional health insurance from
the 1st of March, 2021, so that the students can receive the same benefits as Korean Citizens.
1. Eligible Subjects
Overseas study (D-2)
Elementary/Middle/High school students
·Alien registration date
General Training (D-4)
6months after the entry date
*The 6-month period is recalculated when subjects are
reentering after being overseas for over one month.
Overseas Korean students &
foreign nationality Korean students
On the date of admission into a school
(If a copy of the proof of enrollmlent is submitted)
1) Monthly COntrigutions: KRW 43,490
*KRW 39,540 prepayable for April ＋ KRW 3,950 (1/10th of the March contribution)
2) Reductions in Contributions
Internationa students are billed at 30% of the basic contribution temporarily .
*Reductions will be applicable only when the insured satisfy both of the following requirement:
annual income(KRW 3.6 million or less) and property(evaluated to be worth KRW 135 million or less)
3. Insurance Benefits
1) Immediate Coverage: The insured is not required to claim benefits after recieving treatment.
2) Co-payment Rate: A person who receievs medical care benefits nears part of the medical expenses as below
*Ocupatient Medical Services: 30~60% of the NHI, covering expenses
(varies by medical care institutions type and area)
*Hospitalization Expresnes: 20%
3) General health Checkups: General health checkups are available biannually depending on your year of birth.
ex) those born in an odd year can receive a general health checkup in 2021.
4. Disadvantages with Nonpayment
1) Restrictions on Visa extension
Your stay in Korea may not be extended by the Immigration Service if the contribution in
arrears is KRW 500,000 or more or other collection in arrears are KRW 100,000 or more.
2) Restrictions on Health Insruance Benefits
Health insurance benefits ar medical care institutions are unavailable from the first day of the month following the
payment deadline until the contrbutions is fully paid.
5. Enrollement Procedure
You are automatically enrolled in to health insurance by the NHIS.
Oeverease Korean students and foreign nationalily Korean students must submit an additional document.
(such as a certificate of enrollment issued by school)
1) Due date: 25th of every month
2) Payment Method: Virtual account, automatic transfer, NHIS website, mobile app(The건강보험).
3) Guide for Applying for automatic trasfer
*You may apply for electronic(email or mobile) billing instead of receiving a paper bill.
*With atuomatic transfer arrangement, your monthly contributions are withdrawn from your bank account
automatically on the due date(25th)
※ Should you have further questions please contact the number below:
Foreign language service: 033-811-2000 (English, Chinese, Vietnamese, Uzbekistan)