Visiting Students & Student Exchange Program
SMU's Semester Abroad Program is designed for university students who are already enrolled in another university outside Korea. Both male and female students are eligible to apply. As a Study Abroad student, you earn credit toward your home degree while enjoying a valuable international and intercultural experience in Korea. Exchange Students from Partner Institutions may also participate in this program and tuition for their students can be waived as exchange basis. Through this program students can enroll in SMU's undergraduate and graduate school. Credits earned are listed on a permanent SMU transcript and may be transferable to other universities.
Sookmyung Women's University academic year begins with the spring semester, which runs from March to mid June. The fall semester begins in September and concludes in mid December. Summer Session is also offered before the fall semester begins.
|Spring semester (March~July)||February 26||Orientation for Exchange/Visiting Students|
|March 2||Class begins|
|April 20~26||Mid Term|
|June 15~21||Final Exam / Class ends|
|Fall semester (September-December)||August 28||Orientation for Exchange/Visiting Students|
|September 1||Class begins|
|October 20~26||Mid Term|
|December 15~21||Final Exam / Class ends|
We offer up to 150 courses in English through undergraduate and graduate programs. Students can choose a variety of courses such as Korean language, International Studies, Korean Studies, Business and Economics, etc. There are also many opportunities to experience traditional Korean culture on and off campus through lectures and field trips.
You can find the complete course list and their descriptions from the following web page : Click here (http://e.sookmyung.ac.kr > Academic > courses> Type of Lecture > Language: English - Search!!)
Students will be required to complete all their payments upon arrival. The tuition for exchange students from SMU's partner institutions will be waived.
|Tuition (waived for exchange students)||KRW4,000,000 / semester|
|On-Campus Housing||KRW260,000 / month|
- Costs are subject to change
- KRW 1,200 equivalent to US$ 1
- Fee in US dollar is variable according to the rate of exchange. Please send the fees at the Korean Currency.
- Please note that cost is subject to change every year.
How to apply
- Students are expected to have completed 1 year of a university or college degree program
- Students from non-exchange universities (or Students from SMU's partner institution who could not be selected as exchange students) / Direct application is acceptable but students should first contact to the international office of their home university and check with them whether the credits earned at SMU can be transferable.
- Students from SMU's partner institution should be selected by their home university as exchange candidates/ All application documents should be sent to SMU through their international office. (Individual application is not allowed)
Application materials include Online Application Apply Now!!
- A recent official academic transcript
- A copy of Passport
- A copy of photo
- Health Insurance Verification Form / A copy of Health Insurance Certificate (which covers your medical treatments and accidents in Korea)
- Original Bank Statement (Amount of US$5,000 per semester)
- All required documents should be uploaded at the online application system.
- November 30th, before the start of the Spring semester (March of the following year)
- May 31st, before the start of the Fall semester (September of the same year)
Benefits for International Students
Sookmyung Buddy Leadership Group, URINK
U.R.I.(United Relationship for Internationalization) is a Sookmyung Buddy Leadership Group which consists of SMU local students who volunteer to help foreign students in the campus. Foreign students are arranged to their one-on-one student buddies who take care about general matters in Korea and help them to get accustomed with their new lives around the university. Moreover, student buddy program intend to support cultural interchange among students and building up lasting decent friendship as well. Matched students will definitely strike in good relations and friendship in various events and activities.
Scholarship offered Volunteer Program
Many international students from all around the wordl can also join to volunteer in English Speaking Spot(ESS) and Second Language Tutoring program.(SLT)
Through this program, international students get the chance of teaching their mother language to Sookmyung students and received small amount of scholarship(KRW10,000) per an hour) throughout the semester.
- Office of International Affairs
- Tel : +82-2-710-9284
- Fax : +82-2-710-9285
- E-mail : email@example.com
- Office Hours : 09:00-17:30 (Weekdays Only)
- Postal Address :
- 100, Cheongpa-ro 47-gil, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea 140-742
- Sookmyung Women's University Administration Bldg. #706 Office of International Affairs